Goals & Activities
- Plan and organize a final celebration of completing Walk Across Texas and providing recognition of “winners.”
- Select date and time.
- Find appropriate location.
- Notify your county Extension agent of event time and place.
- Plan a program that includes recognition of winners, awarding prizes, certificates and some fun activities.
- Program suggestions—choose one appropriate for your group.
- Picnic, lunch, pot luck supper with activities like taste tests for best tasting low fat dessert or low salt snack or low sugar dessert.
- Have an enthusiastic speaker to talk about the benefits of continuing to walk by forming a Volksmarching Club or other walking clubs in your county—have a speaker from such a group with opportunities to sign up. Short, snappy speeches are good!
- Have picture slide or video show highlighting key events during Walk Across Texas for your group; people love seeing themselves and their co-workers, friends, neighbors, and family.
- Present total number of miles walked by your group; convert that to total number of times your group walked around the world (25,000 miles is around the world once).
- Present other facts like oldest (with their permission) and youngest participants; funniest team name, funniest or best looking team t-shirts, best looking team banner—any fun facts pertaining to Walk Across Texas you think your group would enjoy.